Often, when we start experiencing some symptoms, like stuffy nose, sore throat, digestive problems, headaches, etc., we tend to blame it on the people outside our homes. But the reality is that all of these symptoms are caused by the items present in our homes. Staying away from sick people or washing your hands properly might help you stay safe, but having a closer look at your home products can also help you big time. Some of the household products which are harmful to your health are mentioned below:
Just a tiny stain contains many spores; they produce a musky smell and severe respiratory issues. The most effective method of avoiding such health issues is to decrease the moist condition where mold develops. Make sure that you look up all the pipes and vents to ensure there is no leakage. Remember to leave the exhaust fan running even after showering and keep the windows open according to the weather.
If you reside in a naturally humid place, make sure to install a dehumidifier. To get off all the mildew and mold spots, use a bleach-free product, which can be applicable on fabrics, ceramic tile, metal, bricks, wood, grout, laminated countertops, baseboards, and concrete. You can also opt for a foam sprayer which assists in avoiding spores and molds from getting into the air.
You must’ve heard this one before, but it should be mentioned again. Sponges are considered to be a hotbed of bacteria. They Might seem like they do not cause any harm, but research showed that in a sponge, almost 362 various species of bacteria. Weird and gross.
But here are certain things that you can avoid from getting unwell. First, you should dip the sponge in water and then microwave it for about 3-4 minutes, about 2-3, or put it in the dishwasher with its hottest cycle, which also helps in drying. And if you are not able to do any of them, try replacing them every 14 days. You can even replace the kit soon if it starts to give out an unpleasant odor.
If we talk about the hotbeds of bacteria, many scientists have found that bacteria like the flu virus, E. coli, and staph bacteria are found in toothbrushes. Well, it is not possible that such a thing will make a perfectly healthy person sick, but you must observe all the precautions. Wash your toothbrush with boiling water thoroughly after you brush your teeth. Make sure that you keep it in such a position so that it gets dry quickly. Keep your brush away from the toilet. Make sure you switch your toothbrush once every three months. To avoid germs spreading, you can get a separate tube of toothpaste for everyone in the house.
It is also one of the most commonly used items in an average household. But, unfortunately, if anyone in your family starts to experience symptoms of digestion issues, the culprit might be the bacteria in or around the sink. And wiping it with a sponge will make it 100 times worse. To prevent such a situation, ensure that you wash the sink with a disinfectant at least two times a week or whenever you wash raw meat. Other than that, you can also wash the sink with the solution of one teaspoon bleach and one-quarter of water every month.
Chopping boards are very convenient when you want to chop vegetables real quick. But it is one of the leading causes of contamination within the kitchen. Wood is a well-known material for chopping boards; however, the bacteria goes inside the vegetable with each cut. To prevent any severe health issues, wash the chopping boards with boiling soapy water after using it. And make sure you store it at a place where it is airy and gets dry quickly.
Appliance Handles And Stove Knobs
Most of us do not wash hands every time we contact appliances present in the house. However, a study showed that the commonplaces of the appliances such as handles of the microwave or a refrigerator have bacteria like salmonella, listeria, and E. Coli present on its surface.
Make sure you include cleaning these surfaces with a disinfectant in your cleaning routine. And also, take out the knobs of the stove at least two times a week and wash them in hot and soapy water.
Plastic Food Containers
Many plastic containers are helpful, multitasking, and are one of the best containers to store leftovers. But most of the contains have BPA in it, which gets released into the food, which can further create issues in the development of the brain of the fetuses, children, and infants and is connected to high BP in the adults. So, to lessen the exposure, make sure you use BPA-free products and prevent microwaving foods in those plastic containers and use other options like porcelain, stainless steel, or glass.
There are many more things that can cause harm to you and your family if you don’t observe any necessary precautions. One thing which is common in all the points is that everything requires cleaning. If you do not clean anything thoroughly, then everything might harm you in a way or another. Maintaining cleanliness is the key. So, make sure you disinfect all the surfaces to which you come in contact almost daily. And change the things, on a regular interval, which can’t be cleaned or disinfected.