HOW TO BUILD THE PERFECT DOG HOUSE
A dog kennel is a house-like structure for pets that are enclosed wood, plastic, metal bars, or wire mesh. A dog kennel provides your dog with a safe and comfortable place and keeps him in confinement. It is a handy tool for those who don’t have a fenced garden or yard.
Benefits of a dog house:
The two types of dog kennels available in the market
- An indoor kennel
- An outdoor kennel
Both have some advantages attached to them. Indoor dog kennels are smaller in size and may be made up of plastic, wire, or chain link. Outdoor dog kennels are larger in size and have enough space for your dog to move around; they are constructed from chain link fencing. Whether you choose an indoor or outdoor kennel, all you have to ensure is that your dog gets enough space to move around while it is inside the enclosure.
- Dog kennels provide enough room for your dog. Kennels provide enough room for dogs to play or run. If he doesn’t get enough space for playing, he can feel bored or get into some kind of mischief in confinement; because it is not always possible to keep your dog on a leash. Without a rope, in an unprotected place, he may cause damage or escape. In such a cases, a dog kennel keeps your furry friend in his own safe place. You can provide your dog with essentials like food, water, toys, and bed in it.
- A kennel provides your dog with a safe and comfortable environment. Kennels are enclosed with well-ventilated fencing; this ensures your dog with enough light and fresh air. Its roof provides shade to protect your dog from excess rain, heat, or cold. If your dog loves to dig, it will be wise to keep him in confinement. It will also protect your dog from toxic plants in the garden.
- House training your pet is a hard job; you can make it easier by keeping your dog in a kennel. You can gradually teach him what to do and what not to do. Appreciate him for his right actions and correct him for the wrong. Some dogs are very aggressive in nature and get into mischief by seeing strangers. A kennel is a must-have to train these kinds of dogs.
- Kennels are also very safe for traveling. If you want to travel with your furry friend, then using a kennel is ideal. You can use a portable kennel without having to leash your dog. They are easy to carry and keep your dog protected and safe. When you are driving, you can keep the kennel aside, and thus, be assured that your canine cannot jump over the road or cannot cause any damage to your car. It is an excellent option for those who love traveling.
- A kennel is much cheaper than fencing. Setting fences around the entire yard is very costly, but a dog kennel can be an excellent alternative for your dog, and it is much easier to install. As a dog owner, you want your dog to be safe as a top priority. A kennel can give him safety and comfort even when in containment. Choose the construction material for the kennel (something that is easy to clean) and select the appropriate size that will be fit for your dog. It will give your dog a healthy environment.
How to build a dog house?
If you love your dog, you have to give him a dry and warm dog house. Follow these steps to create your own customized dog house.
Constructing The Base:
- Choose what you will be using the bottom for because different dogs have different needs. Almost every dog needs an insulated, dry space that he can call home. Remember that base is the foundation for the whole house; it creates a space between the ground and the floor, which acts as insulation for the house. House without insulation is more refreshing during winter months and warmer during summer. Consider the elements that might affect the base of your outdoor dog house. For example, if it often rains in your area, use a water-resistant, non-toxic material; build the base high off the ground to prevent flooding.
- Use of pencil and a framing square to draw the diagram you created on the wood. Cut four pieces of 2×4 wood boards. Make two at 22-½” long and two at 23″ long for a small to medium-sized dog.
- Place the 22-½” front and back pieces outside the 23″ side pieces to create a rectangle with 2″ side resting on the ground.
- Place the floor plan by using a pencil and a framing square to a single sheet of ¾”plywood.
- Using 1-¼” galvanized wood screws attach the floor panel by drilling one screw into each corner, to the base.
Putting Up Walls:
- Use real wood for insulation and versatility. In the front wall of the house, try to make the opening for your dog as small as possible (yet comfortable) to allow the house to retain heat.
- For the side of the dog house, transfer the plans to the same plywood that you used for the floor. All the sides should be 26″ long and 16″ wide. The front and back should be a 24″×16″ rectangle with 12″ high and 24″ wide triangle on the top of the rectangle. Cut this out for both the front and the back of the house.
- Make the opening of the front wall 10″ wide and 13″ high, leaving 3″ space at the bottom. Use any round object to create the round arch at the top of the opening.
- Cut out eight pieces of frames. Use pieces of 2×2 fir or cedar wood used as framing in order to secure the roof and the walls. You will require four corner pieces 15″ long, and four roof pieces 13″ long.
- Faston each 15″ corner piece to each edge of the side frame using three 1-¼” galvanized wood screws.
- Now place the front and back panels and attach to the framing with galvanized wood screws every 10 to 12 cm around the perimeter.
Building A Roof:
- Try to create a triangular roof; this allows rain and snow to slide off the dog house and also give your dog more room to stretch out.
- Plan your roof panels on the 2×2 pieces of words with the dimensions at 20″ wide and 32″ long.
- Attach the 13″ 2×2 roof framing to the inside edge off the front and the back panel halfway between the top and bottom of each panel’s angled side.
- Place the roof on top of the slide and make sure that the peak is tight and panels hang over each side. Secured the roof using 1-¼” galvanized wood screws at 3″ intervals.
Customizing The Dog House:
- Personalized dog house using paint remember to use only non-toxic paints that won’t harm your dog. You can also paint the outside of the dog house to match your own.
- If you have children allowed them to spray-paint the dog house as an art project, it will be enjoyable. Don’t forget to take all the precautionary measures.
- You can cover the entire roof with Asphalt impregnated roofing paper to keep your dog house extra dry.
- Furnish the inside of the dog house by adding a blanket, a dog bed, or a carpet. Use wood glue if you want the rug to be permanent.
- Add a nameplate with your dog’s name over the front of the opening. You can get personalized plates made of metal. Make sure that the nail does not poke to the inside of the dog house.
DECORATING YOUR DOG HOUSE:
A bright dog house can add color personality, and a charming sent to your backyard design. Your dog does not care what his house looks like as long as it is comfortable, but as an owner, you can play with the colors and try several decorative designs.
- You can decorate it with bright colors or dog prints. Just for fun, you can add cat prints on the dog house roof using weather-resistant outdoor paint.
- Add waterproof stickers that can be used in warm climates. We can also paint a smiling cartoon of a dog or a cat on your dog’s side.
- Funny signs like dogs only or no cats allowed can add a humorous design to the structure.
- You can add floral patterns and patterns with blooming flowers or strips to add more cheerfulness to your backyard.
- Funny text or dog bone images are adorable. You can stencil your dog’s name above the door using bright colors to personalize the dog house design.
You can add all sorts of decorative elements to your dog house. Dog bones, hearts or flowers, bold colors, and wooden paw prints can be applied using small nails and weatherproof glue to the dog house walls.
All this will add a unique character to your backyard and give your dog a perfect dog house.